Tuesday 3 February 2015

And now for something a little different...

And now for something completely different....One thing you may not know about me is that I am a HUGE Queen fan. I have been for most of my life; my Godfather of sorts recorded all of his original vinyl LPs onto cassette for me back in the early 90s. Needless to say, I wore them out.....


So I grew up with not only the Greatest Hits, which I don't know many people who don't love, but also all of the original 70s and 80s albums. I listened and listened and listened to them, I read biographies, I was thrilled when Made in Heaven was released a few years after Freddie's untimely death. (I even joined the official fan club a few months ago, god help me!!)

Never mind Bohemian Rhapsody, I Want to Break Free is one of the BEST music videos ever!
Two weeks ago, I had the experience of my life, going to see Queen + Adam Lambert live in Glasgow. Haters gonna hate, but Adam Lambert was AMAZING. Really and truly - that boy can sing - lungs of steel! Of course, he is not Freddie Mercury, but then, he's not trying to be - he's allowing this fantastic music to continue to be performed live - to live and breathe - with 2 members of the original band. (I think it's worth saying that John Deacon, Queen's bassist, was also sorely missed.) If you get the chance, I cannot recommend enough going and seeing them. Worth EVERY penny, and more. I can't help but feel that Freddie would be thrilled to hear a musician and singer of such skill tackling his incredibly challenging repertoire. 


Queen (minus Adam Lambert!) have also recently released a 'new' track - one recorded (but not finished or released) back in 1984 but reworked and with original material added by Brian May and Roger Taylor. It's on their new album, Queen Forever - and really, that title says it all for me. 

If you are a Queen fan at all, I defy you not to feel a lump in your throat watching this beautifully put together video that accompanies this track - Let me in your heart again. 

6 comments:

bairozan said...

I sank back into my adolescent years :) QUEEN is one of my all time favorite bands and Freddie Mercury's death was such a shock! And it's good that there is someone bold enough to sing their songs live because they should not become a history!!!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Thank you so much for sharing this video! I love Queen and it is so great that someone is still singing their songs!

Bobbie said...

I adore Queen! I consider one of my better achievements in parenting to have been when I introduced my children to Queen's music. To my great pride, they love it, too. Jealous that you got to see the newest version with Adam Lambert!

graypeape said...

I saw Queen in September 1982, in Irvine, California. It was one of the last dates they ever played in the U.S., so I was very lucky to get to see them. I don't have words for how amazing they were. I was one of the best nights of my life :)

Unknown said...

I've just found your blog and read this post as I was admiring your beadwork! Queen is one of my all time favourite bands too, my older sister loved them and played their records non stop as I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s. I remember the tribute concert Queen put on after freddie died - have that on DVD now!

Kim said...

I LOVE Queen too. I watch American Idol and remembered when Adam auditioned (Bohemian Rhapsody). I thought Oh I am going to hate this, and he was amazing. I was so happy to hear he was touring with them and hope I get to see them. And yes, I think Freddie would approve :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails