Sunday 4 January 2015

Love Light

I spoke on Friday about my new year's resolution to take better care of myself - not (hopefully) in a guilt-inducing manner, but in a gentle, kind and above all holistic manner. I think this thought was on my mind when I created this bracelet. 


I've said this before, but I am an absolutely terrible hoarder. I'm not quite ready for 'The Hoarder Next Door' yet (thank goodness - please somebody shoot me before they come knocking at my studio door) but I have the most ridiculous stash of beads. I know I'm not alone with this, and that does make me feel a little better, but really, it's time that some most of my beads saw the light of day, and fulfilled their beady destiny. The two art beads featured here are 'only' 2014 acquirements (I have beads going back....WAY back...and back....and back......) but still, they are both beads that have been preying on my mind for some reason. Kylie Parry's beautiful blue firefly in particular - Kylie does previews over on Facebook for her very, very limited edition bead collections, and I spotted it there and knew it had to be mine...You have to have fingers of fire to snag any of her beautiful handmade ceramics, so I was extremely lucky to pick this one up, exactly the one I was after. It's been to cafes on working dates with me, to and from craft fairs, it's been down to England with me for Christmas, and then finally, it's found its home with Something to do's heart. Something about the word 'here' - I loved the idea of this glowing firefly being drawn to the heart, and the quietness and stillness of that word. 

Here. 
Still. 
Be. 


Can't you feel the quiet flutter of her wings? 


Putting Kylie's firefly with Claire's heart put me in mind of one of my favourite Abba songs. (Yes, I love Abba. No apologies.) This bracelet has a much quieter feel than the song, but the title and some of its joyful spirit are definitely there. Love light. Drawn to the light of 'here'. 

You can find this sweet piece here



PS As an aside, when I first got to know this song, it connected very definitely with a specific person at that point in my life, not that they knew. Not someone I'm in touch with much anymore, but isn't it funny how songs retain those connections years on? Like a particular scent or taste, songs take you right back to where you were when they first resonated with you. And no, I'm not telling you who ;-)

4 comments:

Mary Harding said...

Beautiful bracelet Rebecca! Thanks so for including the ABBA song which set my heart singing this icy morning, and I mean freezing rain over snow which makes for a delicious looking Baked Alaska landscape, but will hamper my walk to my studio for a few more hours!!
I had never seen the little Kylie Parry Firefly. It is delightful. So glad you are going into your stash!! Happy New Year!!

lynsey said...

A lovely post Rebecca and a great piece, I really enjoyed reading about your thought process behind it. I know what you mean about certain songs, or scents :-)

Unknown said...

The bracelet has INCREDIBLE color harmonies!

Shai Williams said...

Love love love this bracelet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails